POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Science : Re: Science Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Science
From: Invisible
Date: 15 May 2009 10:43:48
Message: <4a0d7fa4$1@news.povray.org>

>>>    No, the answer is 'Yes'.  :oP
>> Question: Which one of us is currently soaking a backup tape in acetone?
>> Which one of us, therefore, has the experimental data to backup their
>> position?
>
>    Erm, no, but while you're doing this experiment, tell me what the backup
> tape is made of. Would you say it's the same material as an old 45 or LP
> record?

No idea what's it's made of. Some sort of extremely thin yet absurdly
strong plastic, but beyond that I couldn't say.

>    What happens if you lift the backup tape out of the acetone? Is the
> material floppy?

The spool is developing a kind of "cracked earth" pattern on its
surface, and there's some ferric oxide floating in the liquid now. But
beyond that, the spool and tape both seem as rock-solid as ever.

Perhaps I need to actually unwind the tape from the spool. That'll take
a seriously long time though; IIRC, there's about 8 km of tape in there! o_O